Verizon Motorola Razr2 V9M
The Verizon Motorola Razr2 V9M is more tied to the Verizon UI. As such, there are some differences in how it works compared to the other Motorola phones. Example, folders used for RingTones and Pictures are different than Moto UI phones (like the E815 and Alltel firmwares), and even different than where they are put on the Verizon V3C/V3M.
Below is a preliminary collection of notes/hacks specific to the Verizon V9M (running Verizon Firmware)...
As time permits I will be adding these to the HOW TO's
and writing proper guides over the next few weeks (I'll mark them as DONE when
I've completed that).
Until then, see the inline ITALICS for the additional notes...
NOTE: while this information was compiled working on the Verizon V9M, this info has been found to also work with the Z6tv and Z6C. It may also work on the V9M from Alltel, USCellular, Sprint and Telus. BUT Your Milage May Vary!!!
This information was collected by kbman, and myself because of wnrussell generously
providing us with the phone and data cables!!
As you can guess from this list... I wont be adding it all at once.. and it
will probably take some time.. I appreciate your patience.
Over the next few weeks, I'm looking at the following write ups, additions, or
corrections for my pages based on the V9M....
NOTE: the V9M uses MicroUSB cable. The Razr2 V9M uses a USB A to MicroUSB cable. It is NOT the same as the Mini-B cable that the V3C/K1M/Maxx Ve use. It is NOT the same as 8-Pin Mini-B as found on many digital cameras!! The Moto P/N for the correct cable is SKN6238 or SKN6238A. Moto P/N for Mini-B to MicroUSB adapter is P/N SKN6245 or SKN6245A, another Moto Mini-B to MicroUSB adapter is P/N SKN6252A. This adapter allows you to make use of current Mini-B accessories with the V9M... i.e. it converts the Mini-B plug on your car charger to MicroUSB so you can plug into your V9M phone.
Note: the SKN6252A USB Mini-B to MicroUSB adapter is available from T-Mobile stores for $4.99. Ask for Charging Adapter for Moto Razr2 V8, . SKU SUPM93367
If you would like to see something added please post in -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1232955
1. - DONE - USB drivers and WMP sync... -> 1-USBDriver.htm ...
2. BT Obex File Transfers of RingTones, Pictures, Videos... There are additional folders that show, but
are not used... and I have/use WIDCOMM drivers, so any write up will be Widcomm
- Confirmed: When looking via My Bluetooth Places -> OBEX File Transfer on V9M... you get multiple
folders. The ones we will use are 10888 (for Pictures/Wall Papers), 10890 (for
videos/movies), my_ringers (for ring tones), 18067 (for my_sounds), and MMC Removable (for access to the
- Confirmed: To add ring tones, you MUST rename your General Midi, MP3, MMF or
iMelody files to .QCP before transfering to the phone's my_ringers folder.
Failure to do so will result in a "Server Doesn't Support..." type error
- Confirmed: As in the past, Ring Tones must exist in the phone's memory.
- Confirmed: When accessing MMC (Removable), you'll have full access to the MicroSD
card, and all folders it contains... you can copy ANY files to/from the card.
However, as in the past, Ring Tones must exist in the phone's memory.
my_flix, my_pix, my_music will be the most commonly used folders. And you
can drop Mp3's into MMC -> my_music and the phone's music player
will see/play them.
- Confirmed: OBEX File Transfers appear to allow dropping additional file types on
the MicroSD card, so you can make use of it as pseudo "USB Memory key". I have been successful with .RAR, and .DOC files. The phone can't see/use them but that doesn't matter..
3. - MPT setup and use with the V9M...
DONE: see -> V9M_MPT_Cable.htm
for bluetooth see -> V9M_MPT_BT.htm
4. Change graphic used on Outside LCD when flip is open...
- Confirmed: just like the V3C/V3M/K1M except for the resolution... Use either
P2KCommander or the FileSystem tab in BitPim to OVERWRITE the /mobile/verizon.gif with a 240x320x8bit (256 color) gif .. NOTE: DO NOT DELETE the verizon.gif!!
- DONE: How To write up is done -> FlipGraphic.htm
5. Confirmed: switch web sessions, the needed seem edit based on -> http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=9139196&postcount=139
5a. CONFIRMED: ##browser allows you to switch web sessions but is not useful
for edting due to limited options available in the menu.
5b. CONFIRMED: RSD General 4.9.8 can be used on your PC to write the complete web session values to the phone. In other words, you can use RSD General 4.9.8 to configure your own web session file from scratch, and your own proxy setup, and write that to the phone.
6. Confirmed: Version of MSU needed to get the phone into the mode for P2KSeem
and P2KCommander (so you don't need to find PST to suspend the phone)... Version
C01.11.08 will correctly switch the V9M into the "P2K" mode and read the MEID.
- Note: P2KCommander and P2KSeem have problems with the V9M, see item # 19 and 21 below for details...
- We have not tested it with older versions, but MSU will always auto
update itself as a newer version becomes available, so everyone should be a the
7. - DONE: Change my BitPim write up to mention the V9M isn't natively supported, so
there is No GUI support, and only limited File System support due to BREW
limits. MicroSD card is also shown as MMC1, and you can copy files to/from it. I
need to clean my Bitpim page up a bit, and add the proper locations for files on the V9M.
8. Verify DUN works after correcting tethered NAI field such as -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1018585
- CONFIRMED: editing the tethered NAI and writing to phone is successful and does survive a restart.
- CONFIRMED: I have tested a DUN connection without forcing phone to 1X
- notes to be added to DUN.htm and note that NoPapDun.htm is NOT needed for V9M
9. CONFIRMED: Speaker phone Time Out fix... By default, when you enable the speaker phone, it stays on until you manually turn it of.. Per luiset83's post... seem 275a offset AE, Bit 0 Checked = Speaker Phone shuts off after 20 seconds of idle time. Bit 0 Unchecked = (Default action) Speaker phone remain on until you manually turn off. A menu choice for this option is not on the phone.
10. - DONE: Folders for Pictures, Videos Ring tones as listed on -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/FileLocs.htm
11. I Need to verify file types that can be
transfered to the phone... only MP3's renamed to .QCP can be added via BT OBEX file
transfer... What about General Midi, and iMelody files via BT OBEX? Does this
limit also exist when using MPT or P2KCommander instead?
- Confirmed for BT OBEX File Transfer in item #2 above.
- For MPT
- For P2KCommander
13. CONFIRMED: and write a guide for KBMan's doing the 284d wap_elem_d edit...
menu choices are now available and all the added features work. 1F A0 FE
BF 0F F5 7F EE F1 97 is the string for full functions. These values need to be
edited to the first line of that seem and uploaded to the phone."
- It is just a seem edit to seem 284D, overwrite the HEX area in P2KSeem
starting at offset 0000, with that string. Save to phone, the restart the
- Per KBman... "the most valuable [menu choices] added are the Save Items, for saving
media files through the browser(except no mp3s with the Maxx), Bookmarks,
Snapshots, Go To URL, Copy Text, Homepage and Proxy settings all natively
supported by the browser and saved internally in the phone's memory rather than
services available on VZW's server."
14. How to email ring tones and pictures...
- How To Email writeup works but doesn't work... see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1166001
15. Activating the phone via Verizon's My Account
web page may fail..... This was a problem from the Maxx Ve that MIGHT apply to the V9M... I need to confirm this...
- For some reason, the Activate Phone web link on the My Account Web Page
will only accept the phone's MEID, and NOT the HEX or DEC ESN number.
Using the ESN number on the "activate phone" page will FAIL. You MUST use
the MEID when switching to the Maxx. Apparently Customer Service is
unaware of this.
16. Confirmed: Startup/Shutdown sounds and graphics (links to originals)
- Startup Sound -> /motorola/system/ui_start_up_mono.mp_
is a 128kbit/44khz/Stereo mp3, renamed to .mp_
- Shutdown Sound -> /motorola/system/ui_start_dn_mono.mp_
is a 128kbit/44khz/Mono mp3, renamed to .mp_
- Startup Picture -> /motorola/system/customer_opening.gif
is an Animated 240x320 32bit non-interlaced Gif89a, 17 Frames
- Shutdown picture -> /motorola/system/customer_closing.gif is an Animated 240x320 32bit non-interlaced Gif89a, 14 frames
- DONE: How To write up is done -> FlipGraphic.htm
17. V9M File system dump -> VZW-V9M-Dump1.rar... It is NOT complete. There were some numbered folders under /brew/mod that I could NOT backup.
18. CONFIRMED: To format the MicroSD card in the phone...
- Put the microSD card in the phone and the type #4357* go down to
storage devices, pick the microSD, press the soft menu button for options and hit format. Reboot the phone... (Thanks to ThatsMr.Dude2u, see This Post) Also see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=9809386&postcount=99
19. P2KCommander issues.... Work around... (How to write up coming soon) Use P2KCommander 4.9.D
DONE: how to write up -> V9M-P2KC.htm
20. PST doesn't work to read/write configuration files.
- CONFIRMED: Use RSD CDMA General 4.9.8 instead.
- DONE: RSD CDMA General notes written up -> RSD-Gen.htm
21. P2KSeem for V710 hangs when loading from phone or saving to phone.
- DONE: how to write up -> V9M-Seem.htm
22. How to pair your phone and PC (using Widcomm drivers), plus make short cuts for the services...
NOTE: this page also has BASIC info on using Bluetooth OBEX FTP... HOWEVER it does not state that To add ring tones, you MUST rename your General Midi, MP3, MMF or iMelody files to .QCP before transfering to the phone's my_ringers folder. Failure to do so will result in a "Server Doesn't Support..." type error message.
23. CONFIRMED: Seem 2827 still contains the Phone ID String which MPT uses to auto-detect the phone. It can be edited to change the value from V9M to V9Mm so that MPT detects the phone and immediately gives you the MultiMedia Studio icon.
24. CONFIRMED: Process to Disable EVDO on the V9M is the same process as the V3C/V3M/K1M/Maxx Ve
25. CONFIRMED: RSD CDMA General can Read/Write the ERI banner, so you can change the "Verizon Wireless" to something else, or make it blank.
26. CONFIRMED: Turn off the ERI banner using the phone's menu (Menu -> Settings & Tools -> Display Settings -> Banner -> ERI Banner -> OFF), and set a personal banner. (Menu -> Settings & Tools -> Display Settings -> Banner -> Personal Banner...)
27. CONFIRMED: There is no menu option for Master Reset/Clear in the Verizon UI..... Instead... enter test mode (see Disable EVDO process), on the Features Opts page, the last option is for Master Reset/Clear. Select it, it will allow you to individually choose. The phone should restart itself after the Reset or Clear operation is complete, and you may need to manually disable test mode.
28. iSync with Mac... I don't have a Mac to test so see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=9848542&postcount=350 Also -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1244766 this 2nd link contains a post by madadam with an iSync plug-in
29. Using the US Cellular Monster firmware on
your Verizon V9M Phone... Process to make use of the US Cellular firmware (Moto UI) on your Verizon V9M phone, on Verizon's network.
30. Replacing the V9M main board... this process serves as a dissassembly guide for parts of the Moto V9M.