Non-Moto Phone hacks
Below are a list of Hacks and tricks I use with
my LG and Samsung phones....
Need a USB Bluetooth dongle/adapter? See the PC BLUETOOTH page.
Want to know what Bluetooth Profiles your phone supports?
see the PHONE BLUETOOTH page.
Another EXCELENT RESOURCE of LG info see -> LG8300 Step By Step Beginners Guide w/ screenshots,pics,drawings,links
to accessories most/all of that information also applies to
the LG Chocolate and LG enV.
Another EXCELENT RESOURCE of Samsung U740 info see -> The Official Samsung SCH-U740 Guide and FAQ Thread - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST
A compilation of hacks related specifically to the LG Voyager/VX-10000 -> LG Voyager Hacks (many of these work with other LG phones too)
1. LG: Driver install
and Sync with Windows Media Player.
1a. Samsung: Driver install
and Sync with Windows Media Player.
2. BitPim via USB Cable for pictures, ring tones, phone book, etc.
3. BitPim via Bluetooth
for pictures, ring tones, phone book, etc.
4. DUN hack.
For a "Dial up Networking" connection to Verizon's 1xRTT or BroadBand Access
network, without subscribing to their BBA package.
5. Free WAP... Using an
alternate proxy server for WAP where you are just charged Air Time... I have been able to follow the steps and point it to my own HoTTProxy server.
Setting up your own HoTTProxy Server.
LG Chocolate & enV , see -> Free WAP on LG
Samsung U620, see -> Free WAP on Samsung U620
Samsung U740, see -> Free WAP on Samsung U740 <- under construction
6. Editing the ERI.BIN file for LG phones... While you can disable the ERI Banner from the phone's menu to remove Verizon Wireless from being displayed, you can use this edit to change the VERIZON WIRELESS to nearly anything, and leave the ERI banner turned on.
7. Caller ID Picture size... On an incoming call, setting the contrast of the screen "just right" you can see a box where the caller ID picture will be displayed. This "box" appears to be a FIXED SIZE no matter what size picture you use. I found that using a 176x160 picture fills this box completely. BUT to me, its still to small to be useful.
8. How to email Ringtones to your
phone. Can work for pictures too.
9. Access the Service Menu... Needed to disable EVDO and a few other things...
10. How to disable EVDO... This can help with battery life if your phone
constantly switches between 1x and EVDO because you are on the "edge of
coverage" BUT you can't use vCast, and your Get-it-Now, MMS Messaging, WAP, and
other data services will be slower
Lg enV (any color), Chocolate (vx8500), Lg Chocolate 2.0 (vx8550) -> Access the Service Menu, then choose Network Select -> Mode Preference -> 1x Only.
Use the "Clear Key" to back out of the menu's, one level at a time. (Default = Digital Only Hybrid).
Samsung U740 -> Access the Service Menu, then choose Select Pref Mode-> CDMA Only Mode.
Use the "Clear Key" to back out of the menu's, one level at a time (Default = Hybrid Mode).
Samsung U620 -> Access the Service Menu, then choose Select HDR Setting -> Pref Mode-> CDMA Only Mode.
Use the "Clear Key" to back out of the menu's, one level at a time (Default = Hybrid Mode)
11. Using Bitpim to backup the Chocolate's or enV's file system (including NVM
and other protected files/folders).. see -> VX8500: Accessing NVM directory and LC subdirectory (mini guide) as long as you use the correct DLL for your phone, this same process can be used for ANY LG. NOTE: Newer versions of Bitpim also put your phone in to DM mode, so you may be able to complete this process using BitPim alone, without LGDownload.
12. Backing up Get-It-Now apps... While titled for the VX9900/enV, this thread discusses putting the phone it DM Mode (using LGDownload, or the latest BitPim), and backing up your Get-it-Now apps/demos using BitPim so they can be restored at a later date. It applies to ALL LG phones.
13. LG: Using Humpa's MMS server instead of the Verizon PixPlace server...
13a. U740: Using Humpa's MMS server instead of the Verizon PixPlace server...
13b. U620: Using Humpa's MMS server instead of the Verizon PixPlace server...
14. Video RingTones. (I haven't tried this on my Samsungs yet).. This thread discusses using Videos as your Pix ID/Ring Tone for callers. In other words, when someone calls, it plays the Video Clip (with audio) on the screen.
15. How to Pair your Phone and Widcomm/Broadcom Bluetooth
16. How to flash LG Firmware. If you want to upgrade the firmware on your LG phone, this is how...